The German Kulmhof Death Camp in Chelmno on Ner was the first instant mass extermination center for Jews and some Roma in Warthegau (part of occupied Poland incorporated into the III Reich in 1939). It was opened on December 8, 1941 and operated with breaks till January 1945. Unlike in other death camps the killing was done in mobile gas chambers – converted trucks, using exhaust gases. The bodies of the victims were taken to nearby Rzuchowski Forest, some 4 km away. They were buried in graves between 60 and 230 meters (200 and 770 feet) long. The most probable number of the victims is approximately 200,000.
ROUTE: The tour starts in Warsaw with car transfer to Chelmno Museum and nearby forest memorial site (driving time: approximately 2 – 2.5 hours one way), visit to the Holocaust place (including memorial in the forest and exhibition / museum). Return to Warsaw. Optional lunch en route possible (not included in the tour fee).
Please note – the Museum is closed on Mondays, the forest memorial site is available on all times